Come and watch archaeology in action at A Cabeciña! This August the Costa dos Castros team is excavating this spectacular hill fort and working on the surrounding rock art.
We offer free guided tours of the settlement (in English too!): from Tuesday to Friday at 12pm and on Saturdays and Sundays at 12 and 7pm. Or you can simply pass by any day any time and have a look round.
Here are instructions on how to get to A Cabeciña in Mougás, Oia by car or by foot (see map below):
The easiest way to get to Mougás from practically anywhere in Galicia is on the AP-9 to Vigo.
- After passing Vigo, take the AG-57 to Baiona.
- Follow the AG-57 till the end. At the roundabout take the second exit.
- Follow the P0-552 Baiona-A Guarda.
- Look out for Camping O Muíño on your right and O Peñasco restaurant on your left – that means you are close to the next exit.
- After passing under a bridge, take the first exit on your right.
- A few metres after passing Aguncheiro Hostel, take the first right-hand turn – a narrow steep road climbing up.
- Go straight up over the bridge that crosses the P0-552.
- Carry on going up (you will take a few narrow bends) for about 2km until you see a large green shed on your left (a rabbit farm).
- We suggest parking in the large space in front of the rabbit farm and continuing by foot. Walk up the track in front of you. After about 300 metres you are at A Cabeciña hill fort.
Take the track that starts across the road from Cámping O Muíño (Mougás). Follow it for about 2 km in a steady climb until you arrive at A Cabeciña hill fort.